Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Today I Am

"But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ. Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ." (Phil 3:7-8)
I got this from a devotional email about a totally different topic (single blessedness), but i  think it can also be applied more literally. 

this last weekend, i got to do a lot of things, one of which was eat and just hang out with my huge family at Agno (yet again).  at one point, all the girls were talking about shoes--ate Aflie had just bought two pretty pairs of sandals for P 250 each at St. Francis--while ninang Elvie was showing off her nude pumps from Liliw.  of course, i got all excited at the great buys before remembering that i had more than 200 days to go.  I told my relatives about it and they all exclaimed that 365 days was a bit much to abstain from shopping (note that i cracked on the 119th day).

here at the office, i'm the only one without my own netbook/laptop which i think my boss and peers see as somewhat of a setback in case we have meetings, etc.  however, i personally relish this fact because i know that it isn't absolutely essential for me to have one yet, and people tend to take advantae if they know you have these things anyway.  if they want me to work on a machine during a conference, then they should provide me with means to do so.  am i being stubborn? probably.  but i work to live, not the other way around.  at least not with this career.  and i have better plans for that money than to do more of the work i don't really love doing in the first place anyway.  ok, ranting stops here.  but do you get my point?  half of the time, the people are unable to focus on the task at hand exactly because of their laptops, when it should be the other way around.

i think we really are too attached to material things these days.  we can't imagine not having or using our toys and gadgets.  before, i was immune to the FB crae, only checking my account once or twice a month--now i have to sign in daily.  and in the end, all we have are our toys, our accounts, but we're not really living the life we want to.  everything is done or made for the sake of having something to show your online friends! people die for things, others kill and sin for the same.  it's just not right.  what is happening to us?

this is motivating me to come up with some sort of pact that will help me better appreciate the simple joys that life brings, the intangible but oh-so essential things.  because, when i think about it, there are only two things i want in this world, and neither can be bought or paid for with currency--to have good and loving relationships with the people around me; and to do some good for this world.


speaking of simple joys, i would just LOVE to spend half a day lying on a field of flowers (kahit grass, papatulan ko na siguro), without worrying about anything or having to rush off to a meeting or to beat a deadline. i really need to find the time and place to do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment